Welcome to Karim Immigration

Family/spousal sponsorship

To immigrate to Canada under the Family Sponsorship Class (Spousal Sponsorship / Common-law Sponsorship / Parents & Grandparents Sponsorship), an individual must be sponsored by a close relative living in Canada as a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen. This is known as Family Sponsorship Class.

A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident can sponsor relatives or family members residing abroad if those relatives are:

  • Spouses, common-law or conjugal partners 16 years of age or older
  • Parents and grandparents
  • Dependent children, including adopted children
  • A son or daughter is considered dependent with regard to immigration when the child if the child is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner.

Canadian citizen or a permanent resident may sponsor a spouse or common-law partner who is already living with them in Canada.

The person sponsoring the close relative who wish to immigrate to Canada should must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • A Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident living in Canada, and
  • Has not defaulted on a previous sponsorship agreement;
  • Is not facing criminal charges or awaiting the outcome of an immigration inquiry (if a permanent resident).
  • Meets the financial criteria set by immigration authorities (except when sponsoring a spouse).


A person who is under 18 years of age, and whose parents are both deceased, may be sponsored as a member of the Family Class, provided that he/she is single and is in the following relationship with the sponsor: sibling, nephew/niece or grandchild.

Our licensed Canadian immigration consultants can speak with you in person, by email or through the phone about your unique immigration situation and give you the best option/route that suites your situation.